THE FACE PROJECT
- Pixel Light Effects scanned a face using photogrammetry as well as a series of face poses based on FACS (Facial Action Coding System).
- I built a high level Maya face rig using these scans. I also sculpted additional blendshapes.
- We video taped the actor performing these challenging lines of dialogue. I used Faceware to retarget the performance to the facial rig. Some keyframe animation was added after for refinement.
- Waterproof Studios helped refine the look development in Vray and was responsible for the lighting, rendering and colour grading.
- Special Thanks to Hernan Melzi for the initial look development.
- Face Rig, Additional Blendshapes, Facial Motion Capture (Faceware), Animation – Jim Su
- Base mesh, Facial Expression Scans, Textures – Pixel Light Effects
- Final Look Dev, Lighting, Rendering, Compositing – Waterproof Studios
Please watch this space for more developments!
For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Su – Character CGI Artist and TD
Hi there, I am a veteran CGI Artist and Technical Director currently working in Vancouver, Canada. I have been working in the industry since 1999, gathering valuable experience working in feature films and tv.
While rigging is my expertise, I have a real passion for the craft of facial rigging, which is a combination of art, technology, and anatomy. My career goal is to push the envelope as best as I can in cgi faces and the progression of digital humans. Please contact me if you share common goals and would like to know more.
- After graduating Sheridan College for Computer Animation, I was hired by Mainframe Entertainment in 1999 as a CGI modeller and rigger.
- I worked on classic shows such as Transformers Beast Machines, Spider-Man: The Animated Series, and the groundbreaking Canadian series, ReBoot.
- in 2003, I moved back to Toronto to work for C.O.R.E. Feature animation on the Disney movie, The Wild. My first VFX opportunity came on Silent Hill and Firehouse Dog at C.O.R.E.
- In 2006, I was hired by Mr. X Inc. as a rigger and eventually promoted to Rigging Supervisor. Some notable projects I worked on were Resident Evil Extinction, Resident Evil Afterlife, Tron Legacy, and Resident Evil Retribution.
- in 2012, I moved back to Vancouver to work at Scanline VFX as a Rigging Supervisor to work on 300: Rise of an Empire. Other projects included Captain America: Winter Soldier, In The Heart of the Sea, Divergent.
- in 2015, I joined the Academy Award winning vfx studio Double Negative as a Sr. Character TD. Projects included Alice Through the Looking Glass and Star Trek: Beyond.
- I am currently a Creature/Character Supervisor at Zoic Studios working on shows such as Once Upon A Time and Imaginary Mary.
It's been a while since I last posted. I've been very busy working on Imaginary Mary, Once Upon a Time, and a yet to be announced TV pilot at Zoic Studios. Imaginary Mary has made it's debut. I'm so happy and proud of the results. A fantastic animation team did a top...read more
Zoic Studios has released some cgi breakdowns for Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Did you know that the baby Sunny is partially (and sometimes full) CGI? Paxton Gerrish and I worked on Sunny's facial rigging. Great work coming from our Creature team!...read more
I have been working on Imaginary Mary premiering in March on ABC. I have to say, her face rig was really challenging. A squash and stretch rig with the ability to shape the eyelids (And close perfectly each time). The final result, a super cute Mary!...read more
SPOILERS! If you've been living under a rock or you're the last person to watch Star Wars Rogue One, there are some minor spoilers ahead! Go watch the movie already! I had already read mixed reviews about General Tarkin and Princess Leia including the debate on ethics...read more
I have updated the Star Trek Beyond Teenaxi Facial Rigging reel. Now with audio! I rigged / or helped rig every Teenaxi alien on screen. Responsible for body rig design. Rigged every creature and planned the LOD (level of detail) design. Gavin Thomas rigged the muscle...read more
Merry Christmas! This is the launch of cgiface.com, a website featuring my work and opinions in the emerging art and technology of digital humans. A special thanks to Jason Park for designing this awesome website. www.solidmassmedia.com Sharing is caring, so here's a...read more