THE FACE PROJECT
- Pixel Light Effects scanned a face using photogrammetry as well as a series of face poses based on FACS (Facial Action Coding System).
- I built a high level Maya face rig using these scans. I also sculpted additional blendshapes.
- We video taped the actor performing these challenging lines of dialogue. I used Faceware to retarget the performance to the facial rig. Some keyframe animation was added after for refinement.
- Waterproof Studios helped refine the look development in Vray and was responsible for the lighting, rendering and colour grading.
- Special Thanks to Hernan Melzi for the initial look development.
- Face Rig, Additional Blendshapes, Facial Motion Capture (Faceware), Animation – Jim Su
- Base mesh, Facial Expression Scans, Textures – Pixel Light Effects
- Final Look Dev, Lighting, Rendering, Compositing – Waterproof Studios
Please watch this space for more developments!
For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Su – Character CGI Artist and TD
Hi there, I am a veteran CGI Artist and Technical Director currently working in Vancouver, Canada. I have been working in the industry since 1999, gathering valuable experience working in feature films and tv.
While rigging is my expertise, I have a real passion for the craft of facial rigging, which is a combination of art, technology, and anatomy. My career goal is to push the envelope as best as I can in cgi faces and the progression of digital humans. Please contact me if you share common goals and would like to know more.
- After graduating Sheridan College for Computer Animation, I was hired by Mainframe Entertainment in 1999 as a CGI modeller and rigger.
- I worked on classic shows such as Transformers Beast Machines, Spider-Man: The Animated Series, and the groundbreaking Canadian series, ReBoot.
- in 2003, I moved back to Toronto to work for C.O.R.E. Feature animation on the Disney movie, The Wild. My first VFX opportunity came on Silent Hill and Firehouse Dog at C.O.R.E.
- In 2006, I was hired by Mr. X Inc. as a rigger and eventually promoted to Rigging Supervisor. Some notable projects I worked on were Resident Evil Extinction, Resident Evil Afterlife, Tron Legacy, and Resident Evil Retribution.
- in 2012, I moved back to Vancouver to work at Scanline VFX as a Rigging Supervisor to work on 300: Rise of an Empire. Other projects included Captain America: Winter Soldier, In The Heart of the Sea, Divergent.
- in 2015, I joined the Academy Award winning vfx studio Double Negative as a Sr. Character TD. Projects included Alice Through the Looking Glass and Star Trek: Beyond.
- I am currently a Creature/Character Supervisor at Zoic Studios working on shows such as Once Upon A Time and Imaginary Mary.
Merry Christmas! This is the launch of cgiface.com, a website featuring my work and opinions in the emerging art and technology of digital humans. A special thanks to Jason Park for designing this awesome website. www.solidmassmedia.com Sharing is caring, so here's a...read more