THE FACE PROJECT
- Pixel Light Effects scanned a face using photogrammetry as well as a series of face poses based on FACS (Facial Action Coding System).
- I built a high level Maya face rig using these scans. I also sculpted additional blendshapes.
- We video taped the actor performing these challenging lines of dialogue. I used Faceware to retarget the performance to the facial rig. Some keyframe animation was added after for refinement.
- Waterproof Studios helped refine the look development in Vray and was responsible for the lighting, rendering and colour grading.
- Special Thanks to Hernan Melzi for the initial look development.
- Face Rig, Additional Blendshapes, Facial Motion Capture (Faceware), Animation – Jim Su
- Base mesh, Facial Expression Scans, Textures – Pixel Light Effects
- Final Look Dev, Lighting, Rendering, Compositing – Waterproof Studios
Please watch this space for more developments!
For more info: email@example.com
Jim Su – Character CGI Artist and TD
Hi there, I am a veteran CGI Artist and Technical Director currently working in Vancouver, Canada. I have been working in the industry since 1999, gathering valuable experience working in feature films and tv.
While rigging is my expertise, I have a real passion for the craft of facial rigging, which is a combination of art, technology, and anatomy. My career goal is to push the envelope as best as I can in cgi faces and the progression of digital humans. Please contact me if you share common goals and would like to know more.
- After graduating Sheridan College for Computer Animation, I was hired by Mainframe Entertainment in 1999 as a CGI modeller and rigger.
- I worked on classic shows such as Transformers Beast Machines, Spider-Man: The Animated Series, and the groundbreaking Canadian series, ReBoot.
- in 2003, I moved back to Toronto to work for C.O.R.E. Feature animation on the Disney movie, The Wild. My first VFX opportunity came on Silent Hill and Firehouse Dog at C.O.R.E.
- In 2006, I was hired by Mr. X Inc. as a rigger and eventually promoted to Rigging Supervisor. Some notable projects I worked on were Resident Evil Extinction, Resident Evil Afterlife, Tron Legacy, and Resident Evil Retribution.
- in 2012, I moved back to Vancouver to work at Scanline VFX as a Rigging Supervisor to work on 300: Rise of an Empire. Other projects included Captain America: Winter Soldier, In The Heart of the Sea, Divergent.
- in 2015, I joined the Academy Award winning vfx studio Double Negative as a Sr. Character TD. Projects included Alice Through the Looking Glass and Star Trek: Beyond.
In 2016-2017 I joined Zoic Studios as Character Supervisor for Imaginary Mary, Once Upon A Time and various other episodic show. I returned to Scanline VFX as Rigging Supervisor for Ant Man and the Wasp. Creature Supervisor on Game of Thrones Season 8, X-Men Dark Phoenix, and Godzilla vs Kong.
I have updated the Star Trek Beyond Teenaxi Facial Rigging reel. Now with audio! I rigged / or helped rig every Teenaxi alien on screen. Responsible for body rig design. Rigged every creature and planned the LOD (level of detail) design. Gavin Thomas rigged the muscle...read more
Merry Christmas! This is the launch of cgiface.com, a website featuring my work and opinions in the emerging art and technology of digital humans. A special thanks to Jason Park for designing this awesome website. www.solidmassmedia.com Sharing is caring, so here's a...read more